Sunday, May 17, 2015

From Taibao with Love, THE BIRDS, and a Childhood Dream Realized‏

Hello Family, 

This will be my first email to you guys in a couple of weeks, because last week I got to Skype my family! So, that is why I named the first part of my letter "From Taibao with Love." So, last Monday, at 10:00 AM Monday, Taiwan Time, and 9:00 Sunday Night, Utah Time, I called my family from the chapel computer. We Skyped for about an hour and had a really fun time! It was such a blessing to see how well they were doing. I am so thankful for their support and for always encouraging me to do my best. I will never forget that experience! Thanks Mom, Dad, Tyler, and Karlie!!!

WARNING: THIS NEXT PART IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

Not really, but it is terrifying. So, recently, for the past couple of weeks, we have been facing a demon. He is black. He is relentless. And he is a bird. So, on the way to Puzi, which is like a straight shot, 20-minute ride, there is a line of trees on the side of the road. Well, a while ago, we had one of the AP's going on splits with us, Elder Jardine. He served here in Taibao about a year ago, this same time of year. While he was here, he told us about these birds that attacked him on the way to Puzi. He said he finally got sick of it and started keeping a bread roller on his bike that he could wave in the air to prevent the bird from attacking him. Well, we thought it was a funny story at that time, and we had never seen them, so we were doubtful. But then, just recently, about 3 weeks ago or something, as we are riding to Puzi, we hear a noise. An awful noise. It sounded like laughter. It sounded like the devil himself was laughing. Elder Watson and I turn around and see this black bird chasing us as fast as he can. He looks at me and yells "ELDER! IT'S THEM!!!!" We start hauling butt as fast as we can, trying to outrun the beast. Well, we prevailed that time. He stopped chasing us and returned from whence he came. We were relieved, and we hoped that it was only a one time thing. But our happiness would not last forever. The next time, the same thing happened. Then the next 2 times. But then, the next time was even more terrifying for me. So, I was riding in the front this time. We were ready for this bird. We start hearing its taunting laughter and we started busting butt again. But he had us figured out. He came up out of the rice field next to the road and was able to catch me. He started flying right behind my head, attempting to peck through the holes in my helmet. But, alas, my helmet was to thick for the vile creature. So I prevailed. And Elder Watson was behind me watching the whole thing, laughing at my ordeal. Well, the bird "didn't like that, not one bit. He starts chasing him, laughing while he does it." Anyways, this experience convinced Elder Watson and I that we were going to have to start carrying defensive equipment with us. He found a small back pack that he could swing over his head. I, myself, found an extra leather belt of mine. Since then, although we have been chased by the bird, we have not since been approached. Man has won this battle.

Now, that that little incident of terror is over, I will tell you about my childhood dream that was realized this week. But I must start from the beginning. So, since I was little, I have loved reptiles. I had a pet snake when I was young, and later, I owned a bearded dragon. Growing up, I always loved to watch the "Crocodile Hunter." I'm sure we all remember him. I loved watching him show off these amazing animals and finding so much enjoyment in doing so. These creatures have always fascinated me. Even to this day, I have a soft spot for them. Whenever I went to a zoo, I would always get the most enjoyment out of seeing the reptiles. While seeing them behind glass was fun and all, it didn't really allow for that experience of getting up close and personal with them. Well, this last P-Day, that all changed... That morning, our zone leaders called us and asked if we would like to accompany them and a member from their ward to go to a zoo in Ma Dou in Tainan. We had nothing else to do that day, so we said "what the heck, sounds fun." So, we went to the zoo and we saw the animals and things that it had there. It is not a big zoo by any means, and if you don't know where it is, it is super easy to miss. But, what I was not aware of, was that this zoo is home to the largest alligator in all of Taiwan!!! The thing is legendary. It is like 30 years old, 20 ft long, and I don't even know how heavy it is. But, as we were taking pictures of it, his trainer saw me and asked if I wanted to get closer. My excitement was too much to contain. I went down into his "domain" and the trainer let me take pictures of him up close. But then he asked me if I wanted my picture with him. I was ecstatic! The trainer made sure everything was under control, and I was able to get up close and personal with this incredible creature. I got to rub my hand along his back, I got to feel his heart beat. A dream I'd had since I was a little kid had finally come true. Not only did I get to get up close and personal with the creatures I love so much. But I got to spend some personal time with the king of them all! Before we left, I hugged the great beast and thanked the trainer for the opportunity that I would probably never have again in my life! It was, and probably will forever be, the most memorable P-Day of my mission. God's creations certainly are beyond comprehension!
      Teaching is going well. We have some new investigators. A lady from English class and a family of 3. So that is looking good.  
We had a really neat spiritual experience this week. So, on Friday, we went on exchanges with our zone leaders, Elder Dawson and Elder James. Elder Dawson came to Taibao with me and Elder Watson went to JiaYi with Elder James. Well, that night, Elder Dawson and I had set up a lesson with a lady named Helen. Helen has been coming to English class for quite a long time now. She has met with missionaries before without much progress. Well, we had another lesson with her on Friday night that turned out to have a very similar result. She didn't seem like she was taking much of what we were saying to heart. We invited her to go home and say a kneeling prayer. At first she refused, saying that she had here own methods of praying. So, we finally just invited her to pray. Well, from what she told us, was that that night, she did say a kneeling prayer when she got home, twice! The next day, after we had exchanged back, we got a call from Helen saying that she really wanted to meet with us again that night. We didn't know why or what to expect. We met with her again. And her attitude had changed completely. She was totally ready to start taking the Gospel into her heart. It was the most spiritual lesson I've had on my mission thus far. We invited her to church the next day. She said that she might stay for the first hour. Well, she stayed for all three hours! And she said that she loved it so much that she was going to do all she could to come every week. It was a miracle. I know that the Lord is preparing people in his own time. We just have to have the faith to press forward!

    Here is your talk for the week!!!
This was President Eyring's talk from this last conference. I loved it so much.

Well, that about sums it up for this week. I hope that you guys are doing well. I love and miss you and I will talk to you guys very soon!

Sincerely,
Elder Chase Joseph Millett


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Shay! It sounds as if your boy is doing so well and making many wonderful memories!! did you about die when you saw these pictures though?! Funny thing is that it looks as if the croc is actually smiling for the camera too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I was a little stressed when Iopened the pictures, but he looks so happy and he is safe, so I guess I need to get over it! He is doing wonderfully, he loves being a missionary!

      Delete