Monday, August 24, 2015

Last P-Day with Elder Moore, Dry, and 6 Months on Island‏

Well Family,

I hope that you have had a good week. Ours has been ok, not a whole lot of excitement though. Not too much to report on. But I guess I'll say what I can.

Well, that's right. We found out this week that Elder Moore will MOST LIKELY be moving on Friday. Since there are 30 missionaries getting to Taiwan this week, they are having to move a LOT of people around. So, the zone leaders called us and said that in our zone, President Blickenstaff told them that only people were probably moving, Elder Moore and Sister Liao, one of the Sisters here in Dong Hai. While they haven't actually "confirmed" that he's moving, we are pretty sure it's going to happen. So he has started packing his things and is preparing to leave. We will know where he's going on Thursday night. It has been a really fun transfer with him. I feel like the time has been too short. He has been one of my most fun companions though. I will definitely miss him. But thanks to modern technology, I'm sure we'll be in touch.

As for the "Dry" thing. Well, recently, we've been struggling to find new investigators recently. We go out and try to contact but it just seems that nobody is interested. But we are not discouraged, we just keep going out and doing what we can. We know that the Lord will provide. We have seen His tender mercies already. So, we keep on keeping on.

And lastly, come tomorrow, I will have been in Taiwan for 6 months. It won't be my year mark for my mission, but my 6 month mark for being "on island" as the missionaries here say. I have learned a lot from these people. I figured I'd share some of those things. 

Firstly, humility. The people of Taiwan are a very humble people. They don't brag themselves up or look down on others. They try and be decent towards each other and they treat you like royalty when you enter there homes. Having lived here for 6 months, I have learned that humility is what Christ expects of His servants. We cannot be prideful or there is no room for improvement.

Secondly, Patience. Patience plays a big role in missionary work, in a number of ways. The people of Taiwan are predominately Buddhist and Taoist. There are some Christians, but for the most part, peoples' understanding of Christ is very limited. That makes teaching very different than from in other places. We have to get back to the very fundamentals of the Gospel, the nature of God, Scriptures, who Christ is and things of that nature. And there are many times when we have to explain things multiple times to help them understand. When I first got here, it got kind of frustrating. But, eventually, you come to love seeing people's eyes light up when the Gospel touches them. It is incredible. 

These are only a couple of the things that I have learned here. But I thank God for the opportunity to serve here. 

 Behold, and lo, have much people in this place, in theregions round about; and an effectual door shall be openedin the regions round about in this eastern land.
 Therefore, I, the Lord, have suffered you to come untothis place; for thus it was expedient in me for the salvationof souls.
 Therefore, verily say unto you, lift up your voices untothis people; speak the thoughts that shall put into yourhearts, and you shall not be confounded before men;
 For it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in thevery moment, what ye shall say.
 But commandment give unto you, that ye shalldeclare whatsoever thing ye declare in my name, insolemnity of heart, in the spirit of meekness, in all things.
 And give unto you this promise, that inasmuch as yedo this the Holy Ghost shall be shed forth in bearing recordunto all things whatsoever ye shall say.
So, I love all of you. Thank you for all of the support and I will talk to you next week. Stay safe and have fun!
Sincerely,
Elder Chase Joseph Millett

No comments:

Post a Comment