Sunday, October 16, 2016

2............Year Mark

大家好。

Well, this is the second to last email that I will be sending out. This last week has definitely been one of shock, but also one filled with God's mercies and love.

So, might as well start with the shock part. So, just yesterday in fact, we were meeting with our RC Eugene and we got a text message during the lesson. Because we were in the middle of teaching, we couldn't read the text. So, after we finished the lesson, we found that the text was from Sister Shi, the investigator who was going to be baptized this coming week. Well, the text simply said that she would not be able to be baptized because of some issues with living the Sabbath Day, a problem we had originally discussed with her. So, kind of left us in a funk, but after talking to her, she is willing to continue to learn and live all the "other commandments." So, there is still hope, if we can help her overcome this problem, then all will be well. She is one of the most solid investigators I've had in a long time, and she has come such a long ways from when she started. I've kind of taken this as my last task as a full-time missionary. I've thought for a long time about what the Lord would have in store as my last "hurtle" before I left, and I have come to feel that this is it. Maybe not exactly what I was expecting originally, but I understand that the Lord works in "mysterious ways, His wonders to perform." And I know that through helping her understand the blessings of the Sabbath, she will find the answers and peace that come from living it. And it will change her life, so we are looking forward to helping her understand this. 

This last week, one of the biggest miracles is the return of an investigator who has been down in GaoXiong for like a month now. He works for the military, repairing F16 fighter jets, and he is 19 years old. He is one of the most mature 19 year olds I've ever met by the way. But, we had a chance to meet with him a month ago, and he was super super golden. He loved the Restoration and committed to read the Book of Mormon and pray about its truthfulness. During that lesson however, we had planned on giving him a baptismal goal, but because of how long the lesson had gone and we hadn't really covered baptism, we decided to postpone until the next lesson. Little did we know that he would be gone for a month after that..... Well, the decision to not extend the goal ate at my heart for quite a while. And this last week, he returned and just as strong and excited as ever, despite the occasional phone call contact we've had with him. He reads and prays, and he loves the peace the Gospel has brought him amidst a large trial of his. Well, we knew this was the time to extend the goal, so we invited him to be baptized on November 26 of this year, otherwise known as "Dunksgiving" as our zone has come to call it. It is our Zone's baptismal goal. We hope that every companionship can prepare at least 1 person to be baptized on that day, and Brother Zhan is looking great for that time. So, we are going to continue in prayer and fasting for him and his work, hoping that he will be able to meet with us more regularly, despite his crazy work schedule. Here is a picture of him! He's a super great guy!

Lastly, this past week I have officially hit my 2 year mark as a missionary! Yup, because of changes in the States, my schedule was extended by a couple of weeks, so I am officially a "Super Elder." But that was a pretty fun day! Our ward had invited us to prepare something for an activity they were having that day, and it was going to be a good chance to get to know some less active members, so we agreed. But we got to enjoy a great lunch and did get to talk with some LA's who have potential for coming back, so it was great! And I took lots of pictures too! It was kind of like a 2 year mark birthday party, I guess you could say! Haha. But it was great, and I'll get those pictures to you! Here are a couple of them.




This little kid in the last picture is our Bishop's son, and he is probably the cutest, funniest little kid I've ever met. He's always giving me high 5's and whatnot.

Well, that's about it for this email. I'm still pretty bittersweet about everything. I'm sure next week's emails going to be a big long emotional one, so for now, I will just leave you with this. It is really really weird where I'm at right now. It is still so surreal that I almost don't believe it's happening. I've come to love the people here. This place REALLY is my second home. And leaving, I really do feel like a piece of me is going to be left here as well. But thank goodness for modern technology and the wonder that it is, and for the fact that I have lots of wonderful friends here who will not lose contact! 😁 But I love Taiwan, and I love being a representative of Christ here. I love you all and I will SEE you very very soon! 

Sincerely,
Elder Chase Joseph Millett
(AKA, Oldest Missionary in the Taiwan Taichung Mission currently.)
Haha. 
雷龘鬱長老





No comments:

Post a Comment