Sunday, October 2, 2016

Another Typhoon, Eugene's Baptism, Elder Clayson's Birthday!

大家好。

This last week was fairly crazy, that with another typhoon and whatnot, but it has been a super awesome week. We got to see another child of God enter into the waters of baptism and start his new life in Christ. And on top of that, it was during the weekend of Elder Clayson's birthday. So he is now a ripe mature 21 year old. I totally didn't realize that he was older than me until just a little while ago. But yeah, cool stuff.

So, as I said, there was another typhoon this week, typhoon Megi. And straight up, this one was pretty scary. The day of the typhoon, the morning didn't look too bad. It was a little rainy and windy, but nothing to be be scared about. But as soon as we finished DTM, as we were biking over to a FamilyMart to make some calls, the typhoon hit all at once. We were riding headfirst into a ton of wind and rain, and it was so hard to see anything. The rain felt like a bunch of needles hitting us, so we actually pulled off to the side of the road for a second to wait it out. When we realized that it wasn't going to let up (or that it may even get worse) we decided that the safe bet would be to return home. We were informed to instruct all the companionships in the zone to get back to their apartments, which was kind of hectic, since our zone is kind of spread out. We had to wait some 45 minutes for a couple of the companionships to get home, but in the end, everyone was safe and sound. Definitely some of those fatherly instincts coming out, trying to be the protector of our zone family and such. Haha. Well, at about 6:00, the typhoon let up and we were able to go outside. There were still no people on the road, so we decided to follow our old plan and go to the FamilyMart near our house. It's kind of funny, it seems like more people answer the phone in typhoons! We were able to set up quite a few people this past week so it should prove to be fruitful. Well, at about the time we were supposed to go home, the wind started picking up again, and this time it was more crazy than before. All of the windows and things in our house started shaking and bending. Elder Clayson and I prayed that our home would be protected from the storm and that all of our windows and stuff would stay intact. And in the end it did. The only "damages" that we experienced were a couple of leaks through the windows, but nothing major. And everyone else survived too, so that was a relief. So yeah, pretty crazy day, but not too bad.

30lb weight to keep our door closed during Typhoon Megi
Well, on a more positive note, Eugene got baptized on Saturday!!! WOO!!!! And it was a special day indeed. We decided to go to a nice dinner with him before the service, so we ate at a really nice HotPot place down from the chapel. And the service went well too. I had the privilege of baptizing him and his younger brother, who has been a member for 2 years already, shared his testimony. The Sister Missionaries and one other young woman sang a beautiful rendition of "Nearer My God to Thee" which was a wonderful addition. And it was the perfect birthday gift to Elder Clayson to have a baptism! I am so happy that I got to see at LEAST one more person be baptized before I "kick the bucket." And we have a couple more people with goals that are looking very promising. So, he will not be the last!
​Lastly, as I've mentioned a couple of times, this last week was Elder Clayson's birthday! Just yesterday in fact. We had a lot of members invite us to eat food and whatnot, and he was given like 3 cakes! Needless to say, we were not feeling too well at the end of that night. XD But yeah, in relation to that, canned Mountain Dew recently became available for purchase in Taiwan, and that was awesome news because originally, you had to go to a select few places to drink it from their soda fountains. Well, a member new about this and he hooked Elder Clayson and I up with the goods! This is what our refrigerator looks like about now.
Yup, there is our diet for the next couple of weeks. Haha. 

Anyways, this week was pretty great. The end is drawing ever nearer, and it is still so bittersweet. I've come to love this place so much, and knowing everyday is one step closer to leaving brings some tender emotions now and again. I am so excited to reunite with loved family and friends and to begin my next phase of life, but at the same time, being able to dedicate every second of my time to the Lord and His work in a country and with a people and in a language that I have come to love is not a chance I'll have again. I am so grateful that the Lord has given me this chance. And I know that it has been preparing me for even higher things. I love this work. I love God. I love Christ. I love my life. I love Taiwan. I love you guys. And life is going ever so sweetly.

Sincerely,
Elder Chase Joseph Millett
雷龘鬱長老


My RC Peter in Tainan found this picture hanging up in the "Escape the Room" game we went and played months ago. I didn't realize they'd hung it up. Now it's there for all to see. He just sent this to me. Fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment