Monday, December 21, 2015

Tainan, Too Much Singing, and Who is Elder Erwin?



Sun Moon Lake

MTC district reunion at the Mission Christmas Celebration



大家好。

I hope that your week has been awesome! (Wow, I tend to start every email this way. I guess I never noticed until now. 很奇怪。)

But, anyways, ours has been pretty good too. Busy, crazy, and all of that other jazz, but good. I guess I had better start by telling you a little bit about my new area.

So, I cover the Tainan 3rd Ward, which is kind of like the central part of Tainan. It is pretty urban, (not quite as urban as 東海 was, but still pretty populous.) Our apartment is on the 16th floor. We are right on the edge of a river that runs right through the middle of the city, so that is kind of a fun view. We get to cross this cool bridge every day. I will get pictures of that to you guys in a bit. So, as I said in my last email, the food in Tainan is known for being very very good. And it is indeed that. There is this 咖喱飯 place right behind our apartment that is SOOOOO good. And even chain stores like Ba Fang are a lot better here too. So, I fear that I will get fat again. But, I won't let that happen. The chapel in our area is an exact duplicate of the chapel in 嘉義, just mirrored, so it is kind of weird. But it is cool. It is a pretty old chapel, built like 30 years ago or something. Our ward is pretty cool, as far as I know them so far. Our Bishopric got changed on Sunday after like 5 years, so that is a big change!!! Our new Bishop is 葉主教. He is a really nice guy and we are looking forward to getting to work with him. The weather this past week was actually super chilly. I actually brought out my big wool coat and scarf, and I still caught a cold! Dang it..... But it has started warming up little bit more, so I'm getting better. I'm afraid of what Utah winters are going to do to me when I get back!!! Yikes! But yeah, the area is fun. And oh yeah, we have a Costco!!!! In our area!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! But now only one problem, we don't have a Costco card.....Looks like I'll have to get one. But yeah, Tainan is a great place.

Nextly, we have been singing a lot this past week. So, on Christmas Eve, we, (meaning the Tainan Zone), are going to be performing for the Tainan City Government. We are going to be singing, playing the piano and things. Elder Erwin has to play like 3 violin solos for this thing, so he has been working on those. But, after lots of practice, and a giant group practice for like 3-4 hours yesterday, my vocal cords are exhausted. I still have a voice, luckily. I have discovered on my mission that I love to sing. Regardless of how terrible I may sound, I love to do it. But too much of a good thing is a bad thing. So, I am going to have to take care of my pipes if I hope to be able to perform at this thing.

Lastly, it is time to introduce you to my companion, Elder Erwin. He is such a stud guy. He is from South Jordan. And he plays the violin like no other person I've ever seen. He is incredible!!!!! He has been playing for many years and it definitely shows. He has 2 older sisters and two younger sisters, so he is the 獨生子, right in the middle! He loves everything music. He also plays the viola, the bass, the guitar, and the piano. 都可以. He was trained by Elder Brady, my district leader from when I was back in 嘉義. He got to Taiwan in August, so he is still fairly new. I am technically his "Mom." The "Mom" is the first companion you have after you are done training. But I am more like his half-mom because he was with another Elder for 3 weeks before I came in. So, yeah. He is super cool. His Chinese is really good for as new as he is. He has a super strong testimony of the Gospel, and it comes through in his teaching. Well, I am super happy to have the opportunity to serve with him. I look forward to all of the adventures that lie ahead. And I am sure you will come to learn more and more about him as time goes on, just like I have.

Well, that about sums it up for the week. I am healthy, (aside from my little cold.) I am happy. I am adjusting well. I have some friends here in Tainan, like Elder Yeh, Sister Hancock, and Elder Crockett, so it feels like home. The work goes on! I love you all and I hope to hear from you very soon! Have a very Merry Christmas! And have an awesome week. 聖誕節快樂!  聖誕節快樂!

Sincerely,
Elder Chase Joseph Millett
雷一鳴長老
台南三支會的傳教士
The View from our apartment

A sneak peek of our apartment



No comments:

Post a Comment