Sunday, December 6, 2015

聖誕節快到了, I Want 包子!, And "Through Heaven's Eyes"

大家好!哇塞!聖誕節快到了。祝你們一個很快樂的聖誕節!
(Hello Everyone! Wow, Christmas is almost here! I wish all of you a very Happy Christmas!)

Well, yeah, that is pretty much the first part of my email. Christmas season is here, and even here on this tiny Asian island people are getting ready. There are decorations, at least in a few places. Our chapel is decked out in Christmas decorations and things, so I get to see it every day. And we are already planning our ward caroling and Christmas activities and such, so yeah, the season is definitely here. I just love this time of year. I am so excited to be able to celebrate the birth of our Savior. Since I've come on the mission, I have developed a much greater love for the Savior, and what he means in my personal life. I will be talking about that in a later part of this email, so be ready!

Secondly, yes I want 包子. 包子 are kind of like dumplings, but better. We have a recent convert in our ward, a super friendly sister who's family owns a super popular 包子 place in 屏東. So, most mornings, (when we actually get up and exercise), we will bike 10-15 minutes across town to get to her restaurant for breakfast. We are addicted!

And lastly, recently I've fallen in love with music from the movie, "Prince of Egypt." I have never seen it, but I obtained some of the music from it a while back and I have fallen in love with it. Essentially, for those of you who don't know, the Prince of Egypt is a Dreamworks film depicting the life of Moses and the Exodus from Egypt. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about it. So, one of the songs from the movie is called "Through Heaven's Eyes." Essentially, the song is about not using the standards of the world to measure yourself. There have been times on my mission, or just in life in general, when I have felt that I needed the world's approval in order to be considered great. That might involve comparing my Chinese to others or comparing numbers. But, this song is just a subtle reminder to me that that is not the way that God intended things to be. God loves all of us, regardless of our circumstances, personalities, or decisions. That is why he sent His son, Jesus Christ to atone for the sins of mankind. Although, we are imperfect, we must remember that we are "great in the sight of God." So, I invite you all to listen to the song, not for entertainment alone, but for the wonderful and uplifting message that it contains. It has helped me, and I know that it can help you too.

Well, that is about it for this week. I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas. This will be my first and last Christmas on this side of the planet, so I am going to enjoy it to the fullest! I am happy and healthy and I wish you all the same.

Sincerely,
Elder Chase Joseph Millett
雷一鳴
雷長老
Cleaning out a Library full of old Manga.

I will try and answer some questions where I can.

1. How has your week been? 
Fine. Busy as always. But still a lot of fun.

2. Companion?
Elder Rogers is a funny guy. Our personalities are definitely very different. But we are able to make things work. And we are continuing to work on developing companionship unity so as to be more effective teachers.

3. How is the new area?
屏東 is pretty fun. It is kind of in between my previous areas as far as population goes. It's not as rural as 太保, but it is nowhere near as urban as 東海. It is warm down here. But since it is the Winter time, it is pretty comfortable most of the time.

4. weather?
Have some pretty warm days, but we have also had some fairly chilly days, so every day it is a surprise. It has rained a couple of times, but not too many.

5. food?
Not anything too crazy recently. But we have found a couple of fun little places around to eat at. And we found a Subway in our area! But mostly we've been eating 包子.

6. families?
We are still working with 林弟兄 and his family, and we are preparing to start teaching the family of 郭姐妹, an RC.

7. investigators?
We have a few solid people lined up for now. A couple of older college students and some former investigators who want to start learning again.

8. church?
Church is pretty good. Our Bishop is a really nice guy. Our members are a lot of fun. Our chapel is kind of strange. It is like half outside/half inside. I will send you pictures later to show you what I mean.

9. english class? 
I am still the Beginning Class teacher. I have the biggest class in our district, about 20 or so students per class. But it is a lot of fun.

10. Doing anything fun for pday?
Just in JiaYi again. But I will probably go get a haircut and sneak to the mall for a few minutes.

11. How goes the travel itineraries?
Still traveling a lot. Have come up to JiaYi 2-3 times. And will be going up to Taichung on Thursday for the Mission Christmas activity. We will be going to Sun Moon Lake.

12. Almost ready for the mission Christmas party/program?
See Above....

13. When is that?
See Two above....

14.  Do they celebrate Christmas in Taiwan?
Yes, but mostly the cultural part of it. Christianity is pretty small in country. But there are still some who celebrate the Christian aspects of it.
15. When is Chinese new year?
Sometime in February 吧.

哇塞,你快瘋了吧 translation "Wow, you are going crazy!"
沒有問題。我還愛你喔 translation: "no problem. I still love you"


No comments:

Post a Comment