Sunday, April 17, 2016

The New District, Miracles, and a Fallen Soldier

大家好!

I hope that your week has been wonderful. Sorry for the short email last week.  Quite a lot of things have happened in this past week, some of which I'm sure you're very aware. So, let's get to it.

So, we have a new district! Yup, we have been a district for like 2 weeks now, and I haven't really had a chance to introduce them. So, here we go. Our new district is bigger than before. The 4th Ward opened up into a 4-man apartment again, so they have two sets of Elders, making our district 8-missionaries strong! I am the oldest member of the district here now, having been here for 3 movecalls as of next Monday! Crazy! Doesn't feel like I've been here that long at all. But I will probably be getting ready to move soon, even as soon as this next Monday, the mini-movecall. But we will have to see. And then Sister Robertson got a new companion, Sister Lemon, who was trained by Sister Kwong from my MTC district. Wow, I am starting to feel really old! But the 4th ward Elders include, Elder Lauti and his trainee Elder Zavala, and Elder Sng from Texas and Elder Wang, a Taiwanese Elder. Here is a picture.
Fun group!

Well, this week, even amongst Elder Starkweather getting over a pretty serious cold, we have been able to see some miracles. The Baptism we had a couple weeks ago, Eric, stopped answering our calls and replying to our texts after he was baptized. At first we thought it was because he was just busy, but then after like 10 days or so, we started to worry. We went and visited his home one night and no one was there. Then we went by the next night, and we finally caught up with Eric to see if he was ok. He kept apologizing for not answering our calls or replying to texts. His work had randomly sent him and some of the other workers to HuaLian, an area on the East side of Taiwan. He was super super busy over there and had just gotten back the day we visited him. He told us he will be back to his regular work schedule, so we will get to meet with him regularly again. He should be able to come to church this next week to get confirmed. But he is still doing good. And then we saw all kinds of little miracles too, just lots of people willing to talk to us and stuff, so it wasn't too bad. 

Well, as I'm sure you're all aware, an Elder in our mission was killed this past week in a car accident. He fell over on his bike and was hit by the car behind him. He hadn't been in Taiwan for very long, he was still in training. But, in response to some questions I've received from people, yes, he was with my MTC companion, Elder Quist. I can't tell you how we missionaries have all felt the past week since it happened. We were all devastated to get the text from President Blickenstaff. None of us could've expected that. But, as President shared with us in his weekly email this week. I feel compelled to share this email with you. It has touched me deeply, and I hope it will do the same for you.

Dear Elders and Sisters,

This past week I was powerfully reminded of how grateful I am for the Plan of Salvation and the Atonement of Jesus Christ. When difficulties arise it becomes essential to hold fast to the most fundamental things in which we believe. In the words of the Apostle Paul, “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering” (Heb. 10:23). Sister Blickenstaff and I were shocked and saddened at the sudden loss of one of our “little sons” (Alma 56:39). We love and miss him but our faith is sure that we will see him again. 

We have definitely felt buoyed up by the faith and prayers of the entire Church in our behalf. We are amazed by the strength and dignity with which the Hampton family has responded to this trial of their faith. They have been in our prayers continually since last Tuesday. They are being blessed by what Paul referred to as “the peace of God, which passeth all understanding” (Phil. 4:7). It is a peace of which I can testify, as have felt it too in my own challenging circumstances. It is the Comforter, whom Christ promised would come to us in time of need. We invite you also to pray for Mr. Chiang, the driver, and his family. They too are suffering from the unavoidable accident, and need the healing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

I am also grateful for Elder Quist, who has been remarkably calm amidst this sudden storm. I believe through your prayers, he has also received the sustaining influence of the Holy Ghost and perhaps even the ministering of angels. I also believe part of the reason he could be so at peace is that he and his companion had a good relationship with each other, they were obedient, and they were diligently working each day according to their purpose. I know that these are the reasons that Sister Blickenstaff and I could be so at peace as well. 

My dear elders and sisters, live each day to the fullest. Love God and serve Him with all of your might and strength. Have charity and love towards your fellowman, starting with your companion. Listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and do not put off till tomorrow that which you should do today. Exercise judgment and care in all that you do. Please know that Sister Blickenstaff and I love and pray for you and would do anything we could to help you find happiness and satisfaction in this great work of salvation. It is difficult and requires our best effort every day, all day. There is no greater work in which we could be engaged and no better place than Taiwan to which we could be assigned!

Remember: More happiness awaits you than you have ever experienced as you labor among His children (PMG, p. v).  - President Blickenstaff.

I know that what President Blickenstaff shared is true. The prayers of the Church members around the world are felt by every single one of us. I wish I could thank all of you individually for the prayers in behalf of the family of our "fallen comrade," as well as for the prayers in behalf of my dear friend, Elder Quist. He has been a wonderful example to me throughout my mission. I look up to him. I have learned a lot from him. And we have developed a friendship, which, to me at least, feels will extend into the realms of eternity. I too am grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ, which loosed the bands of death for every one of us. I am so confident that we will all see Elder Hampton again. He continues his mission in the realms ahead. And I pray that God will continue to bless and comfort his dear family.  I know that we will all have our dark fridays, but I too believe, that Sunday will come for all of us.


that were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
 Yea, would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth.
I know that God's Plan of Salvation is true. I know that this Gospel will continue to roll forth until it fills the whole earth. And I am so grateful for this chance I have to play my small part to move that stone along. Thank you again for all the prayers, and for all of the faith. I love you all and I will talk to you soon. Have an awesome week. We are rooting for ya.
Sincerely,
Elder Chase Joseph Millett
雷長老

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shay, I so appreciate Elder Millett's kind words about Noah. I know Noah feels the same way about his wonderful MTC companion. How blessed they are to have such a special friendship. I enjoy reading Elder Millett's emails each week. He is a great missionary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have prayed for peace and comfort for the Hampton family, Elder Quist, as well as all the missionaries in Taiwan. I too am thankful for their friendship, and the wonderful example of righteousness and faithfulness that Noah has been for Chase. I read Noah's blog every week. It is fun to read about their adventures. If you ever get down south, I would love to meet up :)

      Delete
  2. As a "missionary mom" getting "that" phone call is something we all dread to receive. What a shining example these young men and this elder's family are in remembering the "big picture" when it comes to tragedies such as this. I've been through several tragedies such as this and it was the promise of the Atonement which got me through those tough losses. My heart goes out to that sweet family and those sweet missionaries in Taiwan at this time as they mourn the loss of their son and brother. They all will be in my constant thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! There is great comfort that comes in our knowledge of a loving Heavenly Father and eternal families. I know prayers are being heard and felt.

      Delete