Monday, November 23, 2015

屏東, Elder Rogers, and Some Other Random Adventures

Hello Family,

This week has been pretty good. Definitely a big change coming down south. 屏東 is quite a bit different from 東海. The city is a lot smaller. It is quite a bit warmer. The chapel is ACTUALLY a chapel. And so on. So I will get right to it.

So, Pingtung is quite the place. Being further south, it is really green. While it is warm, every one has said that I'm lucky I came down in the winter time when it is cooler. So that is a blessing. So, I am in the GaoXiong East Zone. My District (Yes, I am DL again.) consists of 4 missionaries. We have one set of Elders and one set of Sisters. Elder Rogers and I, and Sister Liao and Sister Cosby. I will talk more about Elder Rogers in a little bit. But, you guys might remember Sister Liao. She was in my district when I first got to DongHai. And then there is Sister Cosby, who is also from St. George. So, it's a pretty small world.

So, Elder Rogers. Elder Rogers is from San Diego.  He is 20 years old. He is also a "Halfie." His mom is from Taiwan. His dad is American. He is a piano master (at least I think so). He has played for like 15 years or something. He was also born in the JiaYi Zone, like me. He got there right as I left to DongHai. He wants to be a heart surgeon, but his parents are really encouraging him to go into business, so he hasn't quite decided yet. He has actually lived in Taiwan before. He was part of the military here for 4 months. His Chinese is super super good. He actually got fast-tracked from the MTC. He only had to be there for two weeks because he already spoke Chinese. I will actually be his first American companion. His other companions on island so far have been natives. But, he is super super fun. He is outgoing and willing to do the work. So, I look forward to the time that we will spend together!

Other random adventures from this week. So, this past week, I was introduced to some of our investigators. We are meeting with our friend, Lai Di Xiong. He is 81 years old and only speaks Taiwanese! He can't speak Chinese. Luckily, Elder Rogers can speak and understand a good chunk of it, so we don't worry too much. Not only that, we have members who come and help us with his lessons, so they can translate and things too. But, Lai DX is a nice guy. His baptism is coming up soon, so we are excited for that. Also, last Thursday, we had the chance to go to GaoXiong (Kaohsiung) to attend a specialized training. These trainings happen fairly often, and they are simply to help prepare junior companions prepare to become senior companions. Although I am already senior companion and district leader, I hadn't had the chance to attend one yet, so we were invited to come. It was a lot of fun, and I got to take the Subway for the first time in my life. (It's the Kaohsiung MRT.) So that was fun. And yeah, there are probably a million other things I could tell you, but for the sake of time I will leave it at that.

Well, that is about it for this week. I am doing well. While it was kind of hard to leave DongHai and to leave Elder Chen, I am super excited for the chances and opportunities that I am going to have here. I love you all so much! Know that I miss you guys! I hope to hear from you soon. Have a Happy Thanksgiving! Eat lots of turkey and potatoes. Eat extra for me! And never forget the one to whom we own all of our thanks, our loving Father in Heaven. I know he lives and loves us, and that he gave us Christ to redeem us from our imperfections! I am oh so grateful for that.

Sincerely,
Elder Chase Joseph Millett
雷長老
Our District

No comments:

Post a Comment